I use the S.O.A.P. method of Bible study:
Scripture / Observation / Application / Prayer



Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Luke 6:31 - "The Golden Rule"

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Often called, "The Golden Rule", these words of Jesus really form the basis of our interaction with those around us. We are not to "look out for Number One," or see to our own best interest. A Christian should really never have, "What's in it for me?", cross his mind.

If we can focus on the needs of others around us, and meet those needs to our best ability, then our life will be a good life. If everyone did that -- then it would be a truly wonderful life for all.

God has set an interesting principle to work, and we see it working here. The opposite of the popular is the proper: strength is seen through weakness; to be exalted, one needs to be humble; the greatest is the least; the first will be the last . . .  How do you help yourself? By helping others.

The proper way to do that is to treat them as you would like to be treated...

Who wants something done halfway? Not me! -- That means I cannot do things halfway for others.

Who wants to be left hungry, cold and thirsty? Not me! -- That means I need to help others when I see them in need,

Who wants to be avoided, neglected, abused, or ridiculed because of appearances, mannerism, race or social background? Not me! -- Then I need be become more aware of how I treat others who are different from me.

This is a serious "command" from our Lord.

It also means that we sometimes must practice what is often called, "Tough Love." When faced with hard challenges, we need to keep the "Golden Rule" in mind.

Would we want someone to not tell us that we are hurting ourselves with our own actions because they were not sure they should get involved?

Would we want someone to not tell us of Jesus because they were uncomfortable approaching us?

The "Golden Rule" applies to all aspects of our lives. The key is to keep the other person's best interest at the forefront.

No comments:

Post a Comment